The best handheld barcode scanner is the one that will suit all your company needs and pair with all your asset tracking systems. In this post we want to help you identify the features and capabilities your handheld barcode scanner should have.
The handheld barcode scanners available for today’s market offer greater functionality and durability. They are also convenient, and many come with bluetooth connectivity, are cordless, and include a number of other benefits for managing your assets.
Below we have details on the typical uses for handheld barcode scanners to help you choose the right model.
Handheld Barcode Scanner Uses
The handheld barcode scanner can be used in almost every industry. There are applications ranging from point-of-sale scanning to asset management and equipment maintenance. The following industries rely on the use of handheld barcode scanners for everything from asset management to repairs.
- Warehouse: used to manage inventory and streamline processing, ordering, and more.
- Manufacturing: barcode scanners can be used for maintenance and repair and the reporting and monitoring of equipment. Handheld scanners can help manufacturing companies stay on top of things.
- Retail, Education & Government: Retail companies use barcode scanners for inventory control and POS applications. Other industries such as the education and government use barcode scanners for tracking assets, tracking, and managing resources.
Questions To Ask When Purchasing a Handheld Barcode Scanner
There are a number of questions you should ask yourself when identifying the best handheld scanner.
- Will the handheld barcode scanner be used indoors or outside? Some barcode scanners work in all lighting conditions but if you require a model for specific use in natural sunlight or one in dim lighting conditions, you should check that your chosen model meets your requirements.
- What types of barcodes does it work with? If you work with faded or damaged barcodes you will need a scanner that can read imperfect barcodes. Will you need one that will read 1D, 2D, or Postal barcodes. Not all handheld barcode scanners can read everything.
- How often will the device be used? If you require heavy scanning, you will need to look at things like battery life and whether a corded device will work better. Some handheld barcode scanners capture 60 images per second or more. If you require a greater number, you need to make sure the model you choose can handle it.
- Will you be using your device in harsh environments? If you will be using your handheld barcode scanner in harsh environments such as freezers or outdoor elements, you will want to choose a model with excellent durability.
- What scanning distance do you need? Some models will scan from a few inches, but some won’t. You need to evaluate your distance requirements before making your selection.
Here at AIS Ltd, we offer a range of general purpose and industrial handheld barcode scanners from Datalogic including the Heron 1D imager, the Quickscan cordless, and the Gryphon. They all offer a variety of options for users and more information on each of these can be found on their product pages.