If you are considering purchasing a handheld barcode scanner for your company or business, there are a number of key questions you should ask first.
There are several considerations to take into account and by understanding and knowing these, they will help you to identify the best barcode scanner for your requirements. Below you will find 5 key questions you need to ask before purchasing a handheld barcode scanner.
5 Questions To Ask Before Buying a Handheld Barcode Scanner
- Will you be using your handheld barcode scanner inside or outside? This question is a must because some handheld barcode scanners are designed for specific lighting. Some will work well in natural sunlight as well as in dim lighting conditions. If you require a handheld barcode scanner that will work outdoors as well as indoors you need to check the lighting specifications of the barcode scanner model you are considering.
- What types of barcodes and symbologies will you be working with? If you work with barcodes that are faded or damaged you need to make sure the barcode scanner you choose is capable of reading imperfect barcodes. As well as this, there are several different categories of symbologies including 1D, 2D and postal barcodes so you need to make sure the device you choose is capable of decoding all the symbologies you will be working with.
- How often will the device be used? If you will be using your barcode scanner for long periods of time or on an ongoing basis you need to look at the battery life and whether corded connectivity is required. Some barcode scanners can capture 60 images per second or more whilst others offer rapid continuous scanning capabilities without details. If you require the scanning of thousands of barcodes per day you need to make sure the handheld barcode scanner you choose has these capabilities.
- Will the barcode scanner be exposed to harsh environments? If you are using your barcode scanner in less than ideal conditions for example outdoors in wind and rain, or for scanning products in dusty warehouses you need to make sure the device and model you choose is durable and designed for harsh environments.
- What scanning distance will you need? Some handheld barcode scanners require you to be within a few inches of the barcode and this might not be possible. If you need to be able to scan from a distance this is a feature you need to look for. If you will be scanning barcodes up close you probably won’t have to worry too much, but again this is something that you should consider before making your choice.
We hope that these questions have proved valuable and will help you make a decision on the barcode scanner you require for your business. If you have any questions or need further advice on choosing a handheld barcode scanner, our experts are always on hand to help. Visit the contact us page for more information.